So it has been a long time since I have had a new post but I wanted to share a little bit more about my grandpa. We had his memorial service last weekend and it was beautiful - exactly what he would have wanted. It was a small gathering of family and close friends with a lot of good stories and memories shared. I knew Grandpa Doc had done a lot for the medical field but I didn't he had done so much and I am honored to call him my Grandpa.
"A pioneer in the field of emergency medicine, he was an associated professor for medicine for Washing University and wrong the The Manual of Emergency Out-patient Techniques. Allen was also president of the St. Louis County Medical Society and a charter m ember of the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine.
He had patents for five inventions including a silver compound for the treatment of burns and a spine board for trauma patients. Allen testified before the U.S. Congress in favor of mandatory installation of automobile seat-belts.
He was the director of emergency medical services for the City of St. Louis and St. Louis County and a member of the National Disaster Medical Assistance Team.
In 2002, Washing University established the Allen P. Kippel Lecture Series in Emergency Medicine in his hone."
One of his residents came to the memorial service and spoke about everything my Grandpa had taught him. It was so nice to hear that he touched the lives of people outside of our family. He also informed us that Grandpa Doc was ahead of his time and lead the way in various medical advancements. So I was so honored when my Grandma gave me his stethoscope to have. Now I have a piece of my Grandpa that I can take with me everyday and a reminder to never let anything stop me. He taught me to push the envelope and be an advocate for my future patients. I am so thankful for the time I had with him and I will work to carry on his message in my nursing career!

No comments:
Post a Comment