So I am one week into nursing school and have had every class now. All of the professors so far are engaging, approachable and willing to do anything to help us succeed so I am excited to continue on this journey. And it is not overwhelming yet but I know this is soon to come - probably about the time when we have our first tests in each class! I start my first real set of clinicals tomorrow and Friday which I can't wait to begin. We have gotten all of our supplies like a stethoscope, blood pressure cuff, needles, catheters, ect. and it is finally starting to feel real now that we will beginning to work with simulation dummies. I am excited to start the hands on training where I can begin to incorporate what we are learning in the classroom with the actual skills I will be using daily in the hospital.
My pathophysiology professor bought up a interesting point in class yesterday. He stated that no one really wants to cure cancer. Which I completely disagree with - if I didn't want to help people I wouldn't be on this path to become a nurse but what he had to say did make some sense. But think about how many people would be out of the job if we were able to completely wipe out cancer...as exciting and life-changing as it would to cure this deadly disease it is true that many people would not longer have a job. As true as this professor's statement might be I do not agree with it. I completely want and hope to some day cure cancer - even if that means I am out of the job. I will be able to find another job.
But the reason I appreciated this statement is because I think it is always a professor's job to make you critically think and form you own opinions. And this professor was very up front that we didn't have to agree with his statement and he encourages disagreements and to challenge him. If he wanted us to agree with everything he said, then he wouldn't be doing his job of teaching us and allowing us to form our own attitudes and conclusions. So I am thankful to be at a school where professors challenge us on a daily basis and force us to step outside our comfort zones!
No comments:
Post a Comment